Occurrence and Surgical Reconstruction of Perineal Lacerations and Rectovaginal Fistulae in Dairy Cows
Keywords:Cows, One-stage repair, Perineal lacerations, Primiparous, Rectovaginal fistula
The objective of this study was to throw light on the occurrence and surgical repair of perineal laceration (PL) and rectovaginal fistula (RVF) in dairy cows. A report of 10 Holstein–Frasian and Holstein dairy cattle, suffering a PL of second degree (2nd PL; n=1) and third degree (3rd PL; n= 6) as well as RVF (n=3). Surgical repair of the 2nd PL and 3rd PL was performed by a one-stage Goetz technique. While the repair of RVFs was performed either through a one-stage repair or vaginal approach. Healing of wounds, recovery and complications were recorded. 3rd PL in 4 cows (67%) healed by first intention. Three of these cows subsequently became pregnant, while the fourth cow was culled. The laceration of the other two cows (33%) healed except for a small RVF in one cow. The other cow had a first degree perineal laceration (1st PL) that healed without surgical intervention. Two fistulae healed completely and the affected cows became pregnant 2 months after surgery. The third cow with fistula showed persisted a 5-6 mm diameter rectovestibular fistula. Complete healing of the case of 2nd PL was occurring without complications. It could be concluded that, PL can occur mostly in primiparous cows with difficult assisted deliveries and that one stage repair of PL in cows substantially improves the perineal conformation. The RVF in cows could be corrected either through vaginal approach or a one-stage surgical repair. Breeding after surgical treatment of PL and RVF in dairy cows is advisable.
How to Cite
Users have the right to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of articles under the following conditions: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) license